submission reading series
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Submission is a poetry and prose reading series curated by blind online submission. Right now, we are open to poetry/prose submissions for an iteration called "Submission by and for LGBTQIA+" until March 18th. It will be guest edited by LGBTQIA+ writers Cosima Bee Concordia (prose) and jayy dodd (poetry). Their bios are below the following directions.
_ _ _
- Please send only one submission per genre per reading period.
- Submissions will be open to writers who identify as LGBTQIA+, and we require that writers indicate that they identify as such in the cover letter. By indicating that you identify as LGBTQIA+, you are helping us alleviate any mixups that occur when people submit without reading directions. Managing editors will filter submissions to ensure that guest editors receive qualifying submissions, but the entries will be blind to the paid guest editors. Note: You do not have to identify *how* you identify, but those who consider themselves straight allies are asked not to submit.
- Right now, there are no formal restrictions on where you must reside in order to submit. But, please indicate in the cover letter that you understand the payment is $100 and that you are responsible for your own travel and lodging for a reading on May 2nd, in Portland, OR. Writers who do not indicate this in their cover letter will be disqualified.
- We welcome previously published work and request no rights. However, we would like you to submit something you plan on reading.
- Since we are reading blind, please make every effort to strip your work of identifying information before sending it to us. That means no names in the title field, in the body of your document, or as the title of your uploaded document.
- Poets should submit 7-15 pages of poems. Prose writers should submit 10-20 double-spaced pages of prose. Writers should submit their work in one attachment.
- Previous Submission winners and close friends are ineligible to submit.
- All writers should submit through our Submittable portal.
- Feel free to contact us with further questions at submissionpdx[AT]gmail[DOT]com.
Guest Editor Bios:
Cosima Bee Concordia (also known as Cozy) is a writer and submissive femme leatherdyke in love with books and blood, both her work and play particularly interested in the intersections of erotism and horror. In a past life she got a philosophy degree and taught English in Korea, but today she pays the bills as a bookseller trying to get better narratives into the hands of the public, having started an annual Trans Writes display of books 100% by trans and non-binary authors. She is currently working on a collection of queer horror stories and a personal nonfiction piece interrogating the masochism of Jesus. Follow her on Instagram (and twitter) @bimbotheory
the subject known as jayy dodd is a blxk trans womxn from los angeles, california– now based in Portland,OR. she is a artist, writer, & curator. her work has been featured in LitHub, Poetry Foundation, Oprah Magazine, Ms. Magazine, The New York Public Library among others. she is the Executive Director for Dovesong Labs (a development of Winter Tangerine), editor of A Portrait in Blues (Platypus Press 2017), author of Mannish Tongues (Platypus Press 2017) & The Black Condition ft. Narcissus (Nightboat Books 2019). she has been a Pushcart nominee, co-editor of Bettering American Poetry. she is a Lambda Literary Fellow & a PICA Precipice Grant Recipient. she is also known as Lady Tournament of The House of Olivier. find her talking trash online or taking a selfie.